Thread: Must Read

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Must Read

So, I was cleaning out the not so little library here at home, trying to free up some space. Came across a book I hadn't read in about 17 years: "The Fifth Horseman". WOW. Incredible. As good as Clancy, and scarrily preiscentregarding today's reality. I was looking for more info on the authors, and came across this book review which literally says it all, just change some of the character names:

"This was a book that will keep you on the edge of your seat.The ultimate villain Mommar Quadaffi is able to hide a nuclearbomb in New York City.He also has a team of terrorists who are loose in New York.He is then able to use the bomb as a means of leverage against the President of the United States.In the mean-time the FBI,CIA, and the New York Police Department are searching high and low to locate the bomb.The clcok(sic) starts toclick down on the time left to find the bomb.The President andthe law enforcement agencies are under the gun.Quadaffi plays therole of the villain very skillfully.This is a very scary bookthat is indeed a page turner. Read it.
    Definitely this book deserves SIX stars, it will keep you reading from the first page till the last one, involves all the presidents of the world and even with that is an easy book to read, but here are my questions:Why could this happened 25 years ago and not right now? I think that this book is timelessWhat does the president will really do?What does the Police, FBI and CIA among others will really do? They really know how to handle this kind of problem?All the countries will respect the president decision?Read this book and think about these questions.... This book grabs you at the beginning and does notlet go of you to well after you are done reading it. The subject matter is so topical that the 22 years from original press does not matter at all. Buy it used, find in in the library, or if you have money to burn buy it from a Zshop. You won't be disappointed."
    Shwing

OptiWizard
    :o
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwing
    So, I was cleaning out the not so little library here at home, trying to free up some space. Came across a book I hadn't read in about 17 years: "The Fifth Horseman". WOW. Incredible. As good as Clancy, and scarrily preiscentregarding today's reality. I was looking for more info on the authors, and came across this book review which literally says it all, just change some of the character names:

"This was a book that will keep you on the edge of your seat.The ultimate villain Mommar Quadaffi is able to hide a nuclearbomb in New York City.He also has a team of terrorists who are loose in New York.He is then able to use the bomb as a means of leverage against the President of the United States.In the mean-time the FBI,CIA, and the New York Police Department are searching high and low to locate the bomb.The clcok(sic) starts toclick down on the time left to find the bomb.The President andthe law enforcement agencies are under the gun.Quadaffi plays therole of the villain very skillfully.This is a very scary bookthat is indeed a page turner. Read it.
    Definitely this book deserves SIX stars, it will keep you reading from the first page till the last one, involves all the presidents of the world and even with that is an easy book to read, but here are my questions:Why could this happened 25 years ago and not right now? I think that this book is timelessWhat does the president will really do?What does the Police, FBI and CIA among others will really do? They really know how to handle this kind of problem?All the countries will respect the president decision?Read this book and think about these questions.... This book grabs you at the beginning and does notlet go of you to well after you are done reading it. The subject matter is so topical that the 22 years from original press does not matter at all. Buy it used, find in in the library, or if you have money to burn buy it from a Zshop. You won't be disappointed."
    There's been lots of speculation (except in the media) over the years about the ability of nations to hide nuclear bombs just about anywhere. The theory is that just about every country already has them in place for a long time. In keeping with this theory, some believe that the subject has purposely been hushed up over the years (with the exception of the occasional novel) for fear of the panic and mass hysteria this knowledge might trigger. Others believe that Ike's "military-industrial complex" kept it in the dark so they could continue to sell missile defense systems such the MX and Star Wars. Nothing would suprise me because this stuff could actually be done.
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Frederick Forsyth, author of day of the jackal, wrote a book called the fourth
    protocol.

This Novel deals with a russian plot to smuggle the component parts of an atomic bomb into england, once all the parts have been brought in they are assembled by a scientist, then..... well i wont spoil the rest . Forsyth does a
    lot of meticulous research for his novels, plus he has friends in M.I.5, so his books always come across as very plausible and possible.

as a footnote a movie was made of the fourth protocol with the russian spy played by non other than Pierce Brosnan , the future James Bond .
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And funny enough, "The Fourth Protocol" was on the same shelf...

Perhaps all the late Cold War era pseudo-sci fi/ best guess-based-on-the-news-of-the-day stuff wasn't so far off.

Perhaps we (we= Earth) had a decade, or so (or, less)
    with a popular president
    who rode the hubris of the TRUE end of the Cold War
    (read, the rise of previously classified/ contained information = the IT boom; combined with several other post 'war' spin offs; excluding population-based deomographics).

Or not.

Dunno...
    Shwing

Thread Information