Thread: frame warranty

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Sold a new "Midori" titanium frame to a pt. in Sept., she was in yesteday, solder point broke loose where the eyewear screw goes in..loaned her same frame in a different color, while we get a new front from the mfg., called them and they said their warranty is only a year fromn the day they sold it to our shop! we'll have to buy the replacemnet frame, generously at 50% off! I've never heard of any mfg. doing this. that means that the other pieces I have on display are out of warranty, even though they are new and still current styles, anyone else deal with this problem?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'd take that problem up with the rep.He should have enough flexibility to make this good.If not I would exchange the styles currently in stock (if the're still there, they aren't moving too well).Most companies will cooperate that way.If you can do this at least all your product will be under warrantee.Then I would have a sale on that product and never put another piece in the shop.When you consider how little it would cost them to keep their reputation up they are acting stupidly.I source most of my Titainium from Ayama (formerly Systech) in NY.They have always stood behind their products for as long as it took.Case in point: A new customer came in with a Cambr.508 he had purchased in New Jersey where he lived at the time.He had a solder joint which had separated.I called Systech and explained the situation to them.They replaced the frame NC without hesitation, or question.A well run company, highly reccomended by....

------------------
    Harry J

[This message has been edited by hcjilson (edited 04-19-2001).]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thank you for telling us who not to buy from.
    Let your rep. know, if they don't make it good you'll spread the word the best you can. This Board is a good start. I'd show him this Board and let him pass the message to his supervisors, word is out--Midori doesn't stand behind their product.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dear Spex- I think you can catch more flies with honey- Give the company a chance before coming down so hard.Maybe Al just spoke to a customer service rep who tried to wing it on her (his) own.I'm sure a frame company wouldn't want to loose a customer over 1 frame.I wouldn't want to see Optiboarders taking off on a company who is not here to defend itself.

Best Wishes,

------------------
    Harry J

[This message has been edited by hcjilson (edited 04-19-2001).]

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Harry, the order rep. called us back just now and said she went to bat for us with the powers that be, and gave us a return authorization, in this case. But I've never heard of a reputable company that would not honor a warranty on an existing style, especially one that is titanium and costs $160 wholesale! Still have a call in for my sales rep! That's even worse than style exchange where you have to replace two for one, nonsense!

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hello Al,

Yup, I've run into a couple of companies that have a policy such as the one you're talking about. The first experience we found out after the fact so we told the company that we would sell off the product we had as discontinued and not do business with them ever again. We got a call later that day from the rep telling us that they would "bend the rules" for us when anything like this came along and just to call her first and tell her so she could authorize it.

The second time we asked about the return policies before we opened the account and they had the same type of policy you described. We told the rep we would not do business with a company that had this kind of policy and thanked them for their time. Amazingly they were able to call the home office from our office and get us a two year warranty on all frames and the warranty wouldn't go into effect until WE sold the frame.

It's amazing what "rules" companies can "bend" when they will lose business if they don't ;-) The long and short of it is that they only dictate to you when you let them. Otherwise vote with your pocketbook and tell them to shove off and not to darken your door. If you haven't paid the bill at all or in it's entirety ship back enough product to zero out the bill and call it even and a learning experience.

Remember, their product is in YOUR office. So they can play the game YOUR way or not at all. My advice is don't put up with it and in most cases they will see things your way in the other cases they're product isn't put in your office :-)

Darris "Been there. Done that. ****** a lot of companies off but they still did it my way." C.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is a shame the company won't take the frame back. What you should do in this case is reorder the frame if it is still current, and give it to the patient. Take back the broken frame and hold it for awhile and then send it back with the most recent invoice. This will take care of the 1 year warranty from date of purchase.

Good Luck
    Bryan

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I didn't advocate cutting them off without giving them a chance to make it right. I said, let your rep. know what you think and plan on doing, then if they don't make it good, they're done. I don't think you should have to work any harder than that to get satisfaction.

Thread Information