Thread: The Future Of Opticianry Speech to the OAW

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Last night I delivered a speech on the 'Future of Opticianry' to the Optician's Association of Washington. As you know, I had asked you all to answer seven questions on this topic.

I presented a summary of your answers as well as my views on the same questions. I wish I could say that that the speech was a resounding success, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. While some people expressed appreciation and support for my words, there were some who reacted very negatively to what I said. In retrospect this should not have come as a surprise. The information I presented suggested a future for Opticianry that is troubled and not altogether positive. While I stand by my views, I now wish I had spent more time on the opportunities for Opticians to reverse these trends and improve prospects for the future.

One thing we all share is a great respect for the profession of Opticianry. None of us wants to be anything but supportive of the goals of this industry. But we all know there are some problems within the industry. If they are evaluated honestly and dealt with in a straightforward manner, there is an opportunity to create some very positive outcomes. My hope was to generate the kind of debate and action that could lead to a revitalizing of the industry and new respect for Opticianry as a profession.

For anyone attending the event who felt the speech was too negative, please know that I did not intend to offend anyone, and I apologize if you felt that was the case. I also encourage you to post your cooments on OptiBoard so they can be shared with the whole community. Let us know what you disagree with and why.

I'd like to express my heartfelt thanks to Pam Oquist of the OAW who invited me to speak at their meeting. I'd also like to point out that the speech was mine alone and no one, including Pam, knew its content prior to my delivering it.

For those of you who care to read this speech, please click on the following link. And as always, let the commenting begin!

http://optiboard.com/files/OAW_Futur...pticianry.html

------------------

OptiBoard Administrator

[This message has been edited by Steve Machol (edited 04-08-2001).]

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Steve:

Remember the Simon and Garfunkel song that says something like "man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Steve
    I commend you. You reflected a lot of thinking very well. Reality sucks, and that's what I wish you didn't have to be hit with.
    A point: The internet has just made a heck of an impact. I doubt that so much opinion has been as easily surveyed, compiled, and presented as this round. Those who you addressed who didn't like it . . . have heard from the masses and there wasn't an ounce of Roberts Rules of Order, "aisle alignment" etc.
    Final comment: If we as cybermembers pressed on, used chat rooms and conferencing seriously, organized using any of the known models that have created cyber organizations, we'd accomplish a lot more, a lot faster, and a lot more cost effectively, than existing methods. Everything is changing around us except us . . . it's time for a paradigm shift.

Thanks, Steve

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve,
    Bravo for having the guts to deliver a tough message! It is easier to shoot the messenger and not hear the message. I think, after the reality sinks in, they will be more accepting of your message.

You could see the dissention in our answers on the optiboard. We cannot agree as a profession. Bravo for your "take" on the future of Opticianry!

Occupation

Dear Steve:

Not that this will make you feel any better but;

An Optometrist who I felt had great insight in the industry and opticianry in particular, gave a similar speach at an OAA leadership conference a while back. He addressed many of the points that you have again mentioned. He was universally dismissed and told he didn't know what he was talking about since he wasn't an optician. OAA members and leaders did not act on any of the issues that were pointed out in his speach. This was after it got a lot of publicity because it was mailed to the membership by Sola.

After 30+ years I feel that we have met the enemy and he is us; sums it up pretty well.

I also would ask everyone the question "Are Opticians better off today then we were 5 years ago" (thanks Ronnie) and that answer has to be no; for everyone except those with rose colored glasses and personal positions to protect.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

The truth hurts! Also, often the people at state events are people that actually do devote time to the various organizations, etc.- so its a particularly tough pill to swallow...

Pete

PS- I believe the OD who prophesied doom and gloom at the OAA was Dr. John Sheedy. As I recall, it was a pretty accurate and well written picture of the state of Opticianry.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Originally posted by Steve Machol:
    I could say that that the speech was a resounding success, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. While some people expressed appreciation and support for my words, there were some who reacted very negatively to what I said
    Well done Steve, at least they listened to what you had to say, or there would have been no feed back, Those that reacted negatively are just the ones that do not see that change has to take place to move forward.
    As we say over here "They got there heads up their a***"
    Now at least they will talk about what you said and maybe see the error's of their ways.

------------------
    Every day a grind
    Every week a bind
    www.iooi.co.uk

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Good job Steve! You did your job and the research.

As previously mentioned by Rep and Pete, Jim Sheedy did write and present a tremendous article. I am in full agreement. We can either evolve or opticianry will die.

I was OAA State Society Leader Chair at the time it was delivered and was very involved in my state association. The problem at the state level is that this thinking is "new age". To many individuals are in it for themselves and can't see "the forrest through the trees".

Bev

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Steve, Congratulations on a job well done! It must have been hard to refine some of the comments and then yet even harder to meld them with your own views to come up with this great presentation - on the other hand, that is what professionals do - make the difficult look easy and present it well.

I agree that we have been spending our time in legislative pursuits when we should have been building public consensus. There are not enough opticians in any state to really effect the outcome of an election but there are enough customers! Legislators are generally affected by polls and public opinion almost as much as they are by money.
    If we took our political funds and aimed them at the public it might have more effect - IF we could agree on the message.

I fear, however, that the IF is so big that we might not get it done.

Bad address email on file

Steve, Congratulations on saying what many won't, or are unwilling to say. What you did was the right thing. Hopefully it will open the eyes of many. After 26 years I find opticianry has changed very much in the eyes
    of the public and I don't see it getting any better. The comments of the Optiboarders are right on the money and I only hope things can change before it gets much worse. Since I'm a State Chapter President, I'm going to present your speech to my board and suggest that our members have a round table disscussion at the next meeting concering the state of Opticianry and what can be done about it. I've talked to other Opticians about the industry as a whole, and the feeling is mutual in this state, or at least in the tri-county area. Now, it's time to speak aloud and have our voices be heard. Your speech hits home as to what needs to be done to get Opticianty off its knees and back on its feet. Thank God you had the platform, and the guts, to speak to unspoken truths. Let the truth be known!!

Bad address email on file
    Hello My Friend Steve,

I am so happy to see you have posted your response regarding your speech. Not only did you hit nerves with your wonderful speech, but you made many people take a look at themselves. I received many wonderful acknowledgments regarding your speech. It hit home to many who have been in the business for many years and awakened some of the eyes of the new opticians just entering the field.
    As I spoke with you following the main events, I am so sorry that you received those negative reactions and that they did not in any way, reflect the feeling of the crowd.
    You are still my first choice for the great speaker that you are and if given the opportunity to ask you again, I would! Thank you for your insight, your dedication to the field of Optics, for enlightening the LDO's and students in our corner of the globe. The great friends of this forum and myself are glad to know there are people like yourself, who still say it like it is!
    Thank you Steve, for speaking and most of all for letting me meet the man whom I have admired for 4 years.
    Your faithful follower,
    Pamela Oquist, OAW Education Director

Originally posted by Steve Machol:
    Last night I delivered a speech on the 'Future of Opticianry' to the Optician's Association of Washington. As you know, I had asked you all to answer seven questions on this topic.

I presented a summary of your answers as well as my views on the same questions. I wish I could say that that the speech was a resounding success, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. While some people expressed appreciation and support for my words, there were some who reacted very negatively to what I said. In retrospect this should not have come as a surprise. The information I presented suggested a future for Opticianry that is troubled and not altogether positive. While I stand by my views, I now wish I had spent more time on the opportunities for Opticians to reverse these trends and improve prospects for the future.

One thing we all share is a great respect for the profession of Opticianry. None of us wants to be anything but supportive of the goals of this industry. But we all know there are some problems within the industry. If they are evaluated honestly and dealt with in a straightforward manner, there is an opportunity to create some very positive outcomes. My hope was to generate the kind of debate and action that could lead to a revitalizing of the industry and new respect for Opticianry as a profession.

For anyone attending the event who felt the speech was too negative, please know that I did not intend to offend anyone, and I apologize if you felt that was the case. I also encourage you to post your cooments on OptiBoard so they can be shared with the whole community. Let us know what you disagree with and why.

I'd like to express my heartfelt thanks to Pam Oquist of the OAW who invited me to speak at their meeting. I'd also like to point out that the speech was mine alone and no one, including Pam, knew its content prior to my delivering it.

For those of you who care to read this speech, please click on the following link. And as always, let the commenting begin!

http://optiboard.com/files/OAW_Futur...pticianry.html

Occupation

I'd really like to thank everyone, and most particularly Pam Oquist, for all your kind words and support. I've always considered OptiBoarders to be among the best people this industry has to offer, and you continue to prove it time and again with your knowledge, professionalism and concerns for the state of the eyecare industry.

------------------

OptiBoard Administrator

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe the OD who prophesied doom and gloom at the OAA was Dr. John Sheedy.....

I was at that OAA Leadership Conference and Dr. Sheedy is a "tell it like it is guy". Steve, you mentioned that you wished you had focus on ways to reverse the trends. I agree. James Sheedy did with his speech and although a lot of people felt offended, his view of the big picture was right on the money. Great job, Steve.

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Rising Star

Great job Steve!

I think you should give that same speech to a different group of professional who are more open-minded and listen better. Then compare your responses. I think you will find it wasn't a bad speech, but bad listeners!

Thread Information