Thread: The 9/11 report.....waste?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question The 9/11 report.....waste?

No useful conclusions, no blame for anyone, no real changes in government will take place at this time, so, what was the point? Georgie fought it for 3 years kicking and screaming, now he's crowing that we are all safer, but apparently the panel says we are in grave danger.

What an utter waste of time. Kinda like the warren commission. :hammer:
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

NY Times quote of the day............

I clipped this from their daily blurb. It is attributed to the 9/11 commission.

"Because of offensive actions against Al Qaeda since 9/11, and defense actions to improve homeland security, we believe we are safer today. But we are not safe."
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I haven't read it so it's difficult to judge. I do find it worrisome that my life hasn't changed at all.

Shouldn't it cost something to be vigilant?

The scary thing to me is how our borders remain largely unprotected and our ports are sitting ducks. What are we waiting for?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    What are we waiting for?
    I think we're waiting to create yet another layer of burearcracy akin to the DoHS to oversee the intelligence community.:angry:

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    The scary thing to me is how our borders remain largely unprotected and our ports are sitting ducks. What are we waiting for?
    I think the Canadian/US borders are a time bomb waiting to happen, this can be attributed to the lack of diligence on the part of the Canadian government to scrutinize who we let into this country. I'm all for immigration, it's what makes this country get but when we start having people that are criminals and/or that cannot make a positive contribution to this society "slip through the cracks" and become lost in system the possiblilty for innocent people being victimized is greatly increased.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Been to the airport recently? Next week take a drive through Boston!

I haven't read it so it's difficult to judge. I do find it worrisome that my life hasn't changed at all.

All of our lives have changed since 9/11.Just because it was in reaction to the terror attacks you may have missed some of the subtle changes. A train being halted in Newark NJ yesterday for an hour and a half while the train was searched (Nothing found). One complete line of the MBTA is shut down next week as well as Rte 93 from 128 to Boston. You now have the honor of being able to have your shopping bags, packages, or handbags searched at random if you are a T rider in Boston. New York will undergo similar restrictions next month.

Smell the coffee folks, nothing will be as it was on the day before 9/11.
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis
    No useful conclusions, no blame for anyone, no real changes in government will take place at this time, so, what was the point? Georgie fought it for 3 years kicking and screaming, now he's crowing that we are all safer, but apparently the panel says we are in grave danger.
    Maybe this is WHY President Bush "fought it for 3 years kicking and screaming", as Jana said. I have not read any of the report yet and may not ever read any of it. I do have some comforting thoughts. First of all, there is (I believe) a secret or classified annex to the report(?) I don't know about y'all, but I do not have access to that. Maybe there is some smarts in there. Two: I would guess that the mid-level and lower level professionals at the FBI, CIA and some of the other intel agencies are already getting smarter about some aspects of their work, inspired not from this report but from their own thoughts and memories and "water cooler" or "coffee machine" discussions. The intel agencies may have their own versions of OptiBoard (IntelBoard?). Improvement can also be informal and from the bottom level up. Three: We are still undoubtedly at far greater risk from auto accidents, home accidents, our individual health issues -- everything we used to worry about BEFORE 9-11. (Did you personally know anyone who was killed or maimed on 9-11? Some of us probably do, but I am not expecting an avalanche of posts or PMs from OptiBoarders.) My advice: Try not to think about the 9-11 report while you are driving, using a kitchen knife or reaching for something at the top of your closet when you are on your stepladder. Watch MSNBC on cable TV and look for James Woolsey, former DCI: He is one of the smartest talking heads IMO.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 08-21-2004 at 10:37 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    Actually I fly pretty frequently and the security is no worse now than pre 9/11. (True for a while there it was very chaotic and time consuming but has settled down to an acceptable pace).

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Exclamation Stop and Think!!!

Anyone in this country who thinks that preemptive actions are not necessary needs to read this!!!! The article I've enclosed was a devastating eyeopener for me and I feel that it needs to be shared with all.

The very upsetting reality of our current Constitution is that it affords for human rights without discrimination to all citizens and non-citizens alike. In this time and age it is disheartening to know that until a terrorist carries out a "threat" that nothing will be acted upon due to the fear of foreigners filing law suits, and winning I might add, based on racial profiling. The link that I have included in long, but well worth taking the time to read.

http://www.womanswallstreet.com/WWS/article_landing.aspx?titleid=1&articleid=711[/URL]
    Last edited by C2020cert; 07-23-2004 at 12:57 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When could you arrive at the airport to take a flight before 9/11.
    Could you check bags curbside before 9/11?
    Did you have to remove your shoes before going into security before 9/11?

These are just the small changes in air travel. Chm, Do you really think your life hasn't changed? Tried to take a train lately? Forget transportation- Have you tried to go to a major sporting event lately? If you can't see the changes its time for an eye exam! :) My wife says the same thing......her life hasn't changed.I just keep pointing out the little things that have changed an it adds up to quite a bit.The major change to your life since 9/11 is that you are not safe, and there's nothing any of us can do about it. Thats a big change to me!
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation

You could have seen it coming

Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis
    I just read the 9-11 Attack Commission's Final Report -- NO useful conclusions, NO blame for anyone, NO real changes in government will take place at this time, so, what was the point? Georgie fought it for three years kicking and screaming ...
    The reason, no doubt, that President Bush resisted the 9-11 Commission for (quote) three years kicking and screaming. As they've been saying for the last few years in the TV ads for GM's Cadillac division:

YOU COULD HAVE SEEN IT COMING

The ad, called ''17th Street,'' is a journey through time. A man in 1950s clothes walks onto a subway car past Cadillac posters of the era. As the train moves through the tunnel, he begins to see ads for today's Cadillacs, such as the Escalade SUV. At the end of the spot created by D'Arcy Advertising in Troy, Mich., he emerges from the car in contemporary clothes and passes a poster for the new XLR roadster. ''You could have seen it coming,'' says actor Gary Sinise in a voice-over. Source: http://www.usatoday.com/money/advert...-rookies_x.htm
    Last edited by rinselberg; 01-12-2005 at 08:04 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Thread Information