Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Shooters in Optical Land?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Any Shooters in Optical Land?

Just curious to find any shooters in the optical industry and have been able to use their resources to benefit them. I shoot mostly blackpowder pistol, rifle and soon musket. Love to discuss some of the things that drive my fello shooters nuts.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Since I hi-jacked a thread with comments about "Rolling your own", I stand up and say I am a shooter.

I shoot anything from pistol to blackpowder. I love blackpowder. I reload when I can.
    Last edited by Fezz; 01-30-2008 at 06:53 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Mostly benchrest. I'm working on a new 6x47 that should win a few of the local matches.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Used to shoot and hunt a lot but now for some reason, I don't want to kill anything that don't need killin.

Chip

With black powder pistols be sure and use eye protection. I can remember fitting contacts on an aphakic and seeing black powder granules embeded in the conjunctiva. This was how I learned that he was a champion black powder pistol shooter.

Chip

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a 12 gauge, used for protection from bears and occasionally trapshooting.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi All:

I have several black powder rifles and revolvers. The rifles are great for hunting and the occasional afternoon of relaxed shooting. The black powder revolvers are there to keep me humble. Many of my cartridge handguns have suppressors. These make shooting a true pleasure. The submachine guns I own are reserved for those days I feel the urge to destroy assorted cans and splatter mud.

Roy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Roy,

What brand of powder are using for your black powder shooting? I have always used Goex, but I have gotten a pound of Swiss to try.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezz,
    Not to cut in on Roy's answer but Swiss is a whole different kettle of fish. It's a lot cleaner than GOEX. Its a lot hotter- faster burning than GOEX. If you are a serious competition shooter you will have to totally relearn your weapon with Swiss. I use Swiss Null-B as prime for my flintlock smoothbore and it gives me a dramatically faster ignition than GOEX. I won't use it as a charge because it burns so much faster. Changes the balance of the shot. Impact point could go up or down.
    When you try the Swiss start out at least 15% lower charge. You will find the recoil is sharper with the Swiss.
    What do you feed the black powder to?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

45 acp

carried and shot for years, nothing like a good old 1911A1 45 acp, my own personal favorite load is a 150 grain full jacketed, flat nosed , hollow point loaded with 8 grains of unique and of course a large pistol primer, borderline hot load, but does fantastic in these 1911A1,s

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fo' my own personal arsenal I got a 357 Ruger stainless, a 50 cal stainless in-line, a couple of 30-06's, a half dozen 22's, a couple 410's, a couple 20's, a couple 12's and four or five 22 revolvers. Always wanted a Luger (actually I can remember when you could buy them for $4.00 but I was too young to get one). Maybe someday I'll find one I can afford. I wonder what ever happened to Erma Replicas. Also have a couple of old rabbit ear 12's with damascus barrels.

But like I said, haven't fired a gun in probably 10 years.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Fo' my own personal arsenal I got a 357 Ruger stainless, a 50 cal stainless in-line, a couple of 30-06's, a half dozen 22's, a couple 410's, a couple 20's, a couple 12's and four or five 22 revolvers. Always wanted a Luger (actually I can remember when you could buy them for $4.00 but I was too young to get one). Maybe someday I'll find one I can afford.
    A Luger? For historical reasons, I guess. But if the day ever comes when some unfathomable quantum fluctuation of cosmic space-time transforms me into a WW2-era German landser, I'd go with a Walther P.38 or something under the Schmeisser name.. better weapon.

The famous Luger P08 had been the official German army pistol since its introduction in [1908] and remained in service until the end of WW2, although production ceased in favor of its successor, the [Walther] P.38, in November 1942 because the Luger was... [considered needlessly] expensive.., complicated to produce and despite its reputation actually a rather unreliable and impractical weapon..
    Source: GameFAQs "Call of Duty".

Fired a 22-rifle at a range target a few times when I was a Boy Scout. (Yeah...that was another time and another rinselberg for sure...) Haven't so much as even fingered a firearm since then. Not even a water pistol or a paintball gun.

Just for the record.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 02-01-2008 at 02:10 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kgs113 View Post
    Fezz,
    Not to cut in on Roy's answer but Swiss is a whole different kettle of fish. It's a lot cleaner than GOEX. Its a lot hotter- faster burning than GOEX. If you are a serious competition shooter you will have to totally relearn your weapon with Swiss. I use Swiss Null-B as prime for my flintlock smoothbore and it gives me a dramatically faster ignition than GOEX. I won't use it as a charge because it burns so much faster. Changes the balance of the shot. Impact point could go up or down.
    When you try the Swiss start out at least 15% lower charge. You will find the recoil is sharper with the Swiss.
    What do you feed the black powder to?
    It will go into a 50 flint rifle. Lyman Great Plain. Your experience echoes that of my close friend and shooting buddy. He swears that his ignitions are much quicker and his accuracy is much better. He did mention the reduced load, as did my black powder dealer. I also shoot cap and ball, and flint revolver, but Goex will remain the dinner for those babies. Thanks for the info!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like handgun shooting. Current lead spitters:
    NAA Mini-Mag .22/.22mag
    S&W 617 .22
    Davis .380 (P.O.S.) paperweight
    Makarov 9X18
    S&W 642 .38 Special
    Glock 30 .45
    S&W 629 Classic .44 magnum
    1858 Old Army Cap-n-Ball 44
    45 Flint Pistol
    50 Flint Rifle, Lyman Great Plains

Does not include my various long arms, shotguns and edged weapons.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been looking to purchase a handgun. Have not shot one for 25 years. Have developed a liking for the gloch 23, .40s&w, or just the 9mm version. I know the 40 is more expensive to shoot, but its more for "security blanket". Anyone have any help to offer?

NC is a right to carry state, and its supposed to be relatively easy to get a CW permit.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    I have been looking to purchase a handgun. Have not shot one for 25 years. Have developed a liking for the gloch 23, .40s&w, or just the 9mm version. I know the 40 is more expensive to shoot, but its more for "security blanket". Anyone have any help to offer?

NC is a right to carry state, and its supposed to be relatively easy to get a CW permit.

I am not an expert by any stretch. But, I would reccomend finding a range that you could rent firearms and try a few. A revolver is very easy to use and operate. A great self-defense carry weapon is the S&W 642 .38 special revolver. Glocks are neat, no doubt. I have always been a revolver guy, and put a lot of thought into semi-autos before I got my Glock. It is awesome. It is very easy to operate, user friendly, and very accurate. Glocks tend to be a little "blocky" and some find them hard to conceal(depending on model of course). If you have specific questions, *fire* away. ;)

There are some great Glock reference books. I have one called The Complete Glock(?) by Ptoomba press(I think). It is informative and show the models, the take down, operation of, torture tests done on, and loads of other stuff.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I am not an expert by any stretch. But, I would reccomend finding a range that you could rent firearms and try a few. A revolver is very easy to use and operate. A great self-defense carry weapon is the S&W 642 .38 special revolver. Glocks are neat, no doubt. I have always been a revolver guy, and put a lot of thought into semi-autos before I got my Glock. It is awesome. It is very easy to operate, user friendly, and very accurate. Glocks tend to be a little "blocky" and some find them hard to conceal(depending on model of course). If you have specific questions, *fire* away. ;)

There are some great Glock reference books. I have one called The Complete Glock(?) by Ptoomba press(I think). It is informative and show the models, the take down, operation of, torture tests done on, and loads of other stuff.
    I have shot a S&W 38 revolver in the past. I love the feel of the gloch. Don't really plan on concealing it much, its just that a CW permit gives me more flexability when even driving to a range to shoot. Kind of like the idea of a clip, as apposed to the revolver. People have told me glochs are very reliable also. (my ex FBI,CIA, clients)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Kind of like the idea of a clip, as apposed to the revolver. People have told me glochs are very reliable also. (my ex FBI,CIA, clients)

Best to call them magazines.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any of you guys ever listen to GUNTALK on radio Sunday afternoon?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've never heard of it!

I do frequent:

www.thehighroad.org

www.thefiringline.com

www.glocktalk.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Best to call them magazines.
    I knew that!:hammer:

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check out this site: http://www.eyepalusa.com/main.html

The inventor stopped in today looking for optical Mags he might advertise in. Says OC placement in eyeglasses is irrelevant because it's eliminating depth of field (not sure if that's exactly how he put it). Is this so?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Check out this site: http://www.eyepalusa.com/main.html

The inventor stopped in today looking for optical Mags he might advertise in. Says OC placement in eyeglasses is irrelevant because it's eliminating depth of field (not sure if that's exactly how he put it). Is this so?
    Hello Uncle Fester,
    I may have been misunderstood but it can be fixed up quickly. A pinhole mimics the camera at f22 by providing maximum depth of field and so it does the same for the eye, independant of the lens Rx or OC. The shadow of the EyePal pinhole is so small that it passes through the lens undistorted while gaining contrast with the surrounding occluder. The result is totally useful for those wearing Rx glasses and using open (iron sights) at the range. Three elements, the back sight, front sight and the target are in focus simultaneously. Try this: your thumb and forefinger making a small hole through which you look at some small text without your glasses and !!, it's in focus. A peep sight from the 1880s did the same but it is mounted on the tang of the receiver. Pinhole cameras "see" everything in focus.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the clarification:)

Do any optiboarders have optical or gun trade mags they would suggest RickO'Shay look to to promote this in? Or am I outside of posting guidelines? FYI- I am not in any way involved with this product.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Have any of the black powder buffs seen this website?? http://www.longrifles-pr.com/ What do you think??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great link Jacqui!!

Man, I love black powder. The beauty of the craftmanship is incredible. This summer I will be starting on my first handmade flint pistol.

Thread Information