Thread: Are you all depressed..........???????????

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile Are you all depressed..........???????????

The most active thread over the last 2 days was "What do you clean your patients/customers glasses with?"

which means what kind of a rag are you using all day.

This has been the most interesting theme in weeks and it is going on and on.

I have the feeling that everybody could be depressed or has spring fever, or is actually working selling glasses and making money.

Or the thinking process has shut down in all regions of the USA and Canada and nobody wants to calculate optical curves or insult each other.

This was just to let go of my thoughts.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have had an unusual run of difficult and not-so-bright people lately.
    It makes my impending departure from the optical buisness a little easier.
    One of our last people was a 1st time progressive wearer who insisted that we made his new progressives with defective lenses, because his wife had a pair of progressives that had no abberations, and she could look anywhere in the lens at any distance, without moving her head around. I've been in this buisness long enough that when people say such things, I simply tell them "no, actually your wife owns no such pair of eyeglasses."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes. I'm depressed. I'm selling glasses but I'm still depressed. As David states in his post, things have been rather on the 'difficult' side here lately and I'm finding I'm about ready to have a meltdown the next time a client expresses anything remotely resembling an uneducated opinion on their eyewear. Or cancells an order because they're wanting to go to their native Korea to get glasses there cause they're so cheap.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I'm standing on my head with my left eye shut and I look to the right, everything is blurry.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Seems to me.....

.... a lot of people in this business have not learned to take control of the fitting and dispensing of eyeglasses. For the last 47 years I have been in total control of every person I have fitted. They may come up with crazy stuff but I am in charge. This is because I have never met anyone on the other side of the fitting table who knows what I know about what I am doing. People respect knowledge and expertise. If they detect a crack in the dam they feel like maybe you don't really know what you are doing. I feel that way about some of you just reading what you say.
    Remember if you don't really know what you are doing and and doubt yourself, they will too. Do it right and stand on it.
    It's all about control.:cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Yeah...

One of my best opticians, and a good friend, (40 yr old) had a massive stroke Friday AM. She was in perfect health. Two kids, great husband, wonderful family. They're not sure if she'll make it.

Yeah, I'd much rather talk about how to clean glasses...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, I can definately control any and every situation I encounter. I just laugh at some of the things people come in and complain about!! Even after carefully explaining how a particular lens should work and what they should expect, they come in with unrealistic expectations!!

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It went from 25 to 70 in Illinois in about 10hrs, that makes me happy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I was thinking the other day....

I was thinking the other day, boy it sure has been quite on here. Maybe they have shut down most of the conservatives and the liberals won't talk to each other.:D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The most active thread over the last 2 days was "What do you clean your patients/customers glasses with?"

which means what kind of a rag are you using all day.

This has been the most interesting theme in weeks and it is going on and on.

I have the feeling that everybody could be depressed or has spring fever, or is actually working selling glasses and making money.

Or the thinking process has shut down in all regions of the USA and Canada and nobody wants to calculate optical curves or insult each other.

This was just to let go of my thoughts.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

So Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    One of my best opticians, and a good friend, (40 yr old) had a massive stroke Friday AM. She was in perfect health. Two kids, great husband, wonderful family. They're not sure if she'll make it.

This really bums me out. Very sad. Sorry to hear this Johns.

Oh man....that really sucks.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

So sorry

Sorry to hear that. Boy we should realize every day of good health is a real blessing. Remind me to never complain.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Sorry to hear about that, Johns. Strokes are a massively unfair happening, much like Alzheimer's. My mother died from having several hundred mini-strokes leading up to the big one. My poor sister had to make the decision to remove the feeding tube as per my mother's wishes. Though she had been unconcious for a week, when my sister told her she was removing the tube, from somewhere, we don't know, my mother summoned up enough energy to vigorously nod her head ok.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am not in the office much, so I do not see the challenges that I regular face.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are SLAMMED this week!

It's spring break here!!!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm really sorry to hear about this. Sorry for you, your friend, her family and friends. There isn't much to say at times like this, just that I'm sure I'll be thinking of you and her off and on. Please let us know as things develop.

Blessings to you all.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Johns, so sorry to hear of your friend, she will be in my prayers! Reading your post really brought it home for me, as I am the same age with four kids and a wonderful husband. Makes me wonder if I am taking good enough care of myself!!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Update

She's still in a coma, but she's been breathing on her own throughout the day.

Thanks for the prayers, and please keep them coming.

Thread Information