Anyone try the Spectangle App yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone try the Spectangle App yet?

I had a Hoya VIP come in (to see my MD) and he stopped in the office and we were chatting. He showed me this app for iPhone or iPad that can take ALL frame measurements. Anyone can buy it for $99...just wondering if anyone has tried it. I LOVE the name...Spectangle.

I just heard about it, too....Looked at the overview on line. Looks pretty neat. I have been looking at the Optikam and I looked at a piece of equipment from Veatch @ VEE. While both are more advanced than this app (well, more bells and whistles, anyway), this may be more of an option for my office (lots more feasible, money-wise, too! Plus, I'd HAVE to buy an iPad!!! Boy, what a bummer that would be!

Comment

I heard it only works with the new iPad and not the I or II.

Comment

I don't think it available yet. I went to the Spectangle site and clicked on the buy the app button (now this was a few weeks ago) and it said it wasn't available. As I understand they have another iPad app available in Europe that does just about everything the big units do....
        If Walmart has it I don't want it...

Comment

I couldn't find it in the app store?

Comment

Here's what I found. It doesn't measure such things as PDs or assist with fitting heights. http://appfinder.lisisoft.com/app/spectangle.html

Comment

Sounds like an excellent news story on how even though technology is advancing the need for skilled opticians is still a must. Might lead into story about how many states are not liscensed ,etc..

Comment

i think this apps only available for certain country is it? btw any others apps to recommend :)

Comment

I'm excited for this app to become available. I like an Ipad better than a big, honkin' Zeiss or Essilor set-up in our nicely arranged office. I have not seen it in action, I just recently met with our new Hoya rep who mentioned it. I don't think that the app will replace an optician's technical ability but I'm interested a ligitimate way to enhance mine. :)
                  "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

The new Spectangle will work on all ipads, but is designed for the ipad 3. If you use an ipad 1 or 2, you can use a digital camera and import the photos onto the ipad. The problem with the ipad 2's camera is it is only 1mp., thus the photos for PD's and seg height will be too blurry to measure accurately. Spectangle will take all the measurements needed for free form lenses, but will also enhance the opticians ability to understand what each measurement looks like. It's a great teaching tool for experienced opticians to demonstrate with.

Comment

More Details On Spectangle...........................

The HOYA free form company Spectangle-

A free form lens measuring device. With the advent of the most technologically advanced free form lens, the HOYALUX iD MyStyle lens from Hoya can now have its critical frame measurements taken and the patients lifestyle questionnaire filled out using the Spectangle app.

Pantoscopic Angle, Face Form Angle, and Vertex Distance can all be taken accurately using an iphone, itouch or ipad 2. The first generation ipad can be used by importing the photos via the attachable camera input. The ipad family can utilize a high megapixel camera to take the measured photos, thus allowing incredible zoom for accuracy. Hoyas MyStyle iDentifier is an interactive tool that gathers various categories of data to precisely profile each individual patient creating a lens uniquely for them. Spectangle gives the user the ability to take the critical measurements the MyStyle iDentifier needs to create the personalized lens.

These measurements include: The wearers pantoscopic and face form angles, positioning of the lenses for accurate directional success. The frame corneal distance, specifying how the lens is worn to reach optimum viewing potential. Lastly, the patients lifestyle requirements; such as their interests, choices and activities that effect vision on a daily basis.

All data collected by Spectangle can be emailed to the office email to be reviewed at a more convenient time. This allows the optician to later input the crucial measurements into the MyStyle iDentifier at their pace.

The unique experience of personalizing a lens for a patient can be a more time consuming process than the typical progressive fit, but the overall benefits far out way the extra steps involved. Making the measurement process simple and timely is where Spectangle has its advantage.

Downloads --------------------------> http://downloads.yahoo.com/software/...tangle-s570511

While the MyStyle iDentifier requires more data than Spectangle takes into account, its cost effectiveness allows any office to take the same important frame measurements as those of the expensive free form instruments.

Spectangle can be implemented on up to five devices per account, thus benefiting your office if all opticians desire to have their own devices. Spectangle is a simple, accurate and cost effective means to solve your free form lens measurements.

To me this looks like a HOYA only system, check ay ----------------------------> http://www.hoyaluxid.com/index.php?S...&page_id=17490
                      Last edited by Chris Ryser; 04-29-2012, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know why this app is no longer available?

Comment

According to our rep they still had more to do to it. It is available now and was officially re-released on july 23rd.

Comment

Originally posted by Java99 View Post
                            I heard it only works with the new iPad and not the I or II.
                            it works with the iPad 2 as well just the pics are not as good

Comment

Anybody using this yet?

Feedback?

I have watched/read the info on Hoya's site. My first thought is that it may be viewed as sort of hookey from the patient's perspective. They may get the impression that if it can be done on an iPad.......why don't they do it themselves online?

Anybody?

Comment

Working...
                              X